Top-notch article. Got Jackie to open up more than usual. Some new insights about her relationship to her work. The NY Times article last month was very good, as well. It makes a difference when an article is written by a real newspaper writer, instead of someone who is just a blogger.
Post by jackmessmer on Feb 27, 2017 23:31:29 GMT -5
I’ve just returned from my 4th Jackie concert and first ever in the front row, so I am flying high!
As it happens, my wife and I had been to a Sarasota Orchestra concert Saturday evening, so the first thing I noticed tonight was the increased police presence. On Saturday there was one cop in the bayside lobby and I have no idea where he had parked his car. Tonight there were two police cars parked outside the bayside entrance (which is also where the backstage entrance is for the performers) and two cops standing by the doors as people entered. I had parked on the bayside to walk by the water before the concert, so when I walked around to the front entrance I saw two more police cars and two more officers. Two cops made themselves obvious on the stage and near the stage during intermission. And at the end of the show two cops were waiting at the side of the stage to escort Jackie.
To the set list, which was what you’ve already seen from the previous two Florida concerts.
1. Pure Imagination
2. Made to Dream
3. (All of my) Memories
4. Jackie spoke about her love of Phantom of the Opera – “Hopefully one day I’ll be Christine” – before singing Music of the Night (first standing ovation of the night)
5. Jackie took a break as Peter and the strings presented his arrangement (for the East Village Opera Company) of Mozart’s Overture to the Marriage of Figaro
6. Jackie returned to sing Fix You
7. She then did a dedication to her dad of his favorite song, What a Wonderful World. She said he would want to come on stage to join her (we’d seen Mike briefly before the show began). “I love him so much, but he can’t sing.”
8. She then dedicated Impossible Dream to Lisa
9. Nessun Dorma!!!!! (Yes! Finally I got to hear it live!) Of course, it got a standing ovation – and then Jackie told us to “Please enjoy your 20 minute intermission”
10. The second half started with Caruso – she said it was really hard to learn this song in a different language quickly for her new album (it got a scattered standing ovation)
11. Somewhere Over the Rainbow
12. Jackie got a break as Peter and the strings played a selection from Carmen
13. Jackie returned to sing the Medley she first introduced in Tyler, TX and talked about how each song represented a milestone in her career (technical glitch: As Jackie began to sing O Mio Babbino Caro the video for Writing’s on the Wall began showing on the screen – she may not have noticed it behind her and the screen quickly went blank)
14. Writing’s on the Wall (with correct video)
15. Safe & Sound
16. Lovers – introduced as final song (standing ovation at end) Someone shouted “We love you Jackie!” Reply: “Love you too!”
17. Encore: The Lord’s Prayer (also standing ovation)
It was over all too quickly, of course. Now I have to plan my 5th Jackie concert.
"Please welcome back Peter Keisewalter." "I've been here the whole time."
Jackie & Peter with great banter. Great interaction with the crowd once again, amazing concert once again! Jackie on her game the whole weekend! Same setlist as Coral Springs & Ft Myers. I got to sit in the exact same seat that I sat at for the last Sarasota concert 2 years ago. Something about this town just seems so special to me. I love coming here, and I love this theater.
rickolsen: I just gave my cats some gravy dinner. They are gobbling it down. I have to go to Walmart soon and get them some more. Maybe I'll do it today. I can't run out. They like it too much. I don't want to disappoint them.
Sept 8, 2020 4:52:03 GMT -5
rickolsen: I got my cats more gravy dinner. I got more roast beef and pastrami for me and a loaf of bread. My diet is working well. I've lost about 45lbs. in the last year. My doctor says whatever I'm doing is working. I just cut out starch like potatoes.
Sept 8, 2020 11:38:10 GMT -5
rickolsen: I'm eating no bake cookies while I watch Super Bowl 42. There is no better taste combination than dark chocolate, oatmeal, and peanut butter. I really feel good today. No more dizzyness. I didn't look drunk walking into Walmart. I hate that.
Sept 8, 2020 13:23:46 GMT -5
rickolsen: Gas was only $1.87 today so I filled up my tank. Cost $7.75. I don't know why gas prices have dropped so much, but I won't complain. You have to get a break once in a while in life.
Sept 8, 2020 13:28:17 GMT -5
rickolsen: I just went to Walmart and got some cucumbers and green peppers. I think eating these things helps my diet. They are tasty and they have low calories. I'm eating green peppers now. I put salt on them. Salt makes everything taste better.
Sept 8, 2020 14:25:29 GMT -5
rickolsen: Phoenix is sleeping. Brandie and Sampson aren't sleeping yet. I took a long nap so I'll be up all night. I'm watching the 2007 divisional game between the Giants and the Cowboys. I might make a roast beef sandwich later. I'm not really hungry now.
Sept 8, 2020 22:13:11 GMT -5
rickolsen: Sampson is sleeping now. So is Brandie. I hate it when I know I should eat something and I'm just not hungry. I can't force myself to eat when I'm not hungry. Can you?
Sept 8, 2020 22:27:29 GMT -5
rickolsen: I ate a pastrami sandwich. I've never gotten pastrami and roast beef before last time, but I really like them. I'm a meat and potatoes man. I don't eat potatoes anymore because of starch, so I'm just a meat man. I could never be a vegetarian or a vegan.
Sept 8, 2020 22:42:11 GMT -5
rickolsen: I'm eating chips and salsa while I watch the divisional playoffs between the 2011 Giants vs Packers. The Giants win. I really like salsa.
Sept 8, 2020 23:40:41 GMT -5
rickolsen: I have to shut my window at night now. I don't want my furnace to kick on. My cats and I like to be warm though.
Sept 9, 2020 13:57:09 GMT -5
rickolsen: I just gave my cats some gravy dinner. It is seafood and they are gobbling it down. I feel really good today. I haven't felt dizzy for 2 days. I just ate 2 bowls of potato soup. I don't eat potatoes very often, but I like potato soup.
Sept 10, 2020 7:30:12 GMT -5
rickolsen: I just opened my livingroom window. Sampson is already in it. I have to close it at night now, but I open it during the day. My furnace hasn't kicked on yet. I don't want it to. I have covers at night now. Phoenix always sleeps with me. She likes covers.
Sept 10, 2020 7:34:11 GMT -5
rickolsen: After I gave my cats some gravy dinner they all went to sleep. They are sleeping now. I'm eating green peppers while I watch football. I really like green peppers. I put a little salt on them. Earlier I said salt makes everything taste better. It doesn't.
Sept 10, 2020 10:18:52 GMT -5
rickolsen: You wouldn't put salt on your chocolate pudding or chocolate cake. But salt does make most regular food like meat and veggies taste better.
Sept 10, 2020 10:20:08 GMT -5
rickolsen: My cats and I are well. Phoenix and Brandie are sleeping, but Sampson isn't. I just went to Walmart and got some more sandwich meat, roast beef and pastrami. I like to eat it without bread. I'm not supposed to eat bread.
Sept 11, 2020 16:48:36 GMT -5